slider3
Slide background

Super Flexible Layout Builder

Tons of ElementsReal Drag and DropFullscreen OptionUndo/Redo functionallity

Welcome to Birtley

Birtley village stands high on a ridge 700 feet above sea level, twelve miles north of Hexham. It commands superb panoramic views over the North Tyne valley, and beyond to the North Pennines, the Wark Forest and northwards to the Cheviots.

The area around Birtley was known as ‘Tynedale’ and is within easy reach of Northumberland National Park, the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Kielder Forest (the largest forest in the UK), Kielder Water (the largest man-made lake in Northern Europe) and the World Heritage site of Hadrian’s Wall.  The high quality of the natural environment draws many tourists to the area and also makes Tynedale a very attractive and pleasant place in which to both live and work.

Birtley has an active Village Hall hosting a part time Post Office, a playing field and a children’s playground. The parish church of St Giles (grade II listed) is described as “Simple and complex!”  The nearby village of Wark, just over the River North Tyne, offers day-to-day amenities with a Post Office/village shop, farm shop, public houses, a GP surgery, first school, and cricket & sports facilities. Bellingham and Hexham provide a wider range of local retail, educational and professional services; and the eclectic range of boutiques, cafes and restaurants in Corbridge is also easily accessible. Newcastle and Carlisle lie within easy reach, and provide further comprehensive cultural, educational, recreational and shopping facilities as befits regional capitals.

Birtley Open Gardens Scheme 2016

Many thanks to all the local participants who recently have opened up their stunning gardens for the “Open garden” scheme. Below is a collection of images from members of our local community.

THE BIRTLEY PARISH COUNCIL

The district was part of the barony of Prudhoe and belonged to the Umfraville family.   One of the principal landowners, the Duke of Northumberland, is lord of the manor.

Birtley parochial chapelry was separated from the parish of Chollerton in 1765, and received an independent jurisdiction. By 1872 the living was a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Durham in the patronage of the Duke of Northumberland. Today, Birtley St Giles is in the diocese of Newcastle, part of Church of England Bellingham Deanery; benefice Chollerton, with Birtley and Thockrington.

Birtley Parish Council was first formed in 1894 by an Act of Parliament, and The Act granted the newly created civil parish councils the specific power to appoint a “Clerk of the Council”.  Parish council roles were strengthened under the 1972 Local Government Act and the functions of parish, community and town councils have increased immeasurably since. Birtley Parish Council has six councillors who are elected for a 4 year term.

There are at least four Council Meetings per annum, usually on the first Tuesday in the months of March, May, August and December.  The Annual Meeting of the Parish is held in May and follows the Annual Meeting of the Parish.

Today, the parish has 80 households with 142 electors.

  • 142 electors

    Today, the parish has 80 households with 142 electors.

  • Duke of Northumberland

    One of the principal landowners, the Duke of Northumberland, is lord of the manor.

  • Birtley St Giles

    Birtley St Giles is in the diocese of Newcastle, part of Church of England Bellingham Deanery

  • Birtley Parish Council

    Birtley Parish Council was first formed in 1894 by an Act of Parliament